Jessica is a gorgeous little firecracker… I had so much fun getting to know her during her boudoir session!
This is Lauri, the fabulous creative behind Stitched & Salvaged and more recently, the owner and boss lady over at the Green Heron Art Center in Radford. I originally met Lauri through Jess of Burnt Creative a year or so ago… She’s has a beautiful heart and makes wonderful art, make sure you drop by her shop and say “Hello”!
Hair and Makeup by Charmaine Edwards
This is Maichal… with the most magical smile. The last photo in this blog post was the final photo of her shoot and my absolute favorite!
How to Prepare for Engagement Photos: What to Wear
- Bring at least 2 comfortable, fitted outfits that reflect your personalities – one dressy option and one casual, everyday option.
- Finalize your clothing choices before the day of your engagement session, you don’t want to be scrambling around 30 minutes before your session time cursing at your favorite jeans for being dirty.
- Do a test run of your outfits – put them on to make sure that they fit, look good together, and that no big stain or hole has reared its ugly head.
- Coordinate outfits, but don’t fully match. Match the type of dress (casual with casual, dressy with dressy) and avoid matching head-to-toe, it didn’t work for Britney Spears and Justin Timberlake so it won’t work for us commoners either.
- Choose coordinating colors – If you will be using your engagement photos as decor at your wedding reception or as part of your guest book, try to match your wedding color scheme to your engagement outfits for consistency. Or choose 2-3 colors from a room where you will be hanging prints of your engagement photos to build your color palette.
- Don’t like those color options or want something totally different for one of your outfit options? Look for one bright, bold accent color and pair it with neutrals.
- Accessorize – don’t be afraid to spice your outfit up with a statement necklace, a scarf, cardigan, earrings; for the fellas – a tie, bow tie, or sports jacket. Not only do layers create visual interest in photographs, but pieces can easily be removed to change the entire appearance of the outfit without a full wardrobe change.
- If your fiance doesn’t want to get too dressy up,you can have him pair a sports jacket with jeans for the more dressed-up look.
- Treat Yo’ Self – Go get a manicure, we’ll be taking photos that show off your beautiful engagement ring so you’ll want your hands to look their best. While you’re at it, have your hair and makeup done professionally also. False eyelashes look AMAZING in photographs.
- Whatever you do, avoid the following at all cost: logos and wording on your clothing, busy patterns, and sneakers (especially since they only seem to come in neon colors these days).
For more engagement photo ideas, check out my Engagement Pinterest Board.
I met Lisa through the Diner en Blanc event that she put together over the summer. She has a wonderful sense of style, I love the red dress that she brought along for her photo session. I was also excited to hear that she does ballet and brought her pointe shoes to wear for some of the photos!
The internet has made the world feel like a much smaller place… When Ginger came in for her glamour session she mentioned that the way that she had found me was through her husband. We have followed each other on Tumblr and Twitter for a couple of years now so it was exciting to meet Ginger! I have had the opportunity to meet so many amazing people through photography and social media. Ginger is so sweet, beautiful, and has an amazing sense of style.
Hair and Makeup by Rebecca Pauli of Unique Creations Salon in Christiansburg.
Meet Bridget, a total firecracker who came in for a glamour session back in December. Towards the end of the session Bridget joked that she had meant to go to the gym after her photo session, but since posing for glam photos is basically like Pilates she was too sore and had to skip the workout. All joking aside, looking this fabulous is a lot of work! Hair by Jessica McPeak and Makeup by Rebecca Pauli, both of whom are from Unique Creations Salon in Christiansburg.